Monday, October 02, 2006


I probably mentioned in an earlier post that I wanted to make a ball and socket armature. I tried doing this using jewelry barbells and some very cheap armature parts. After a lot of experimenting and head scratching I decided that half-assing a ball and socket armature probably isn't the best idea. I just don't know enough about making one and I don't have easy access to the appropriate machines nor the knowledge to use them. I really really want to machine my own armatures one day, but I don't think right now is the best time to figure that one out. I’ve got a lot on my plate already! Instead, I've decided to go with what I know best - a wire armature. I did some experimenting this weekend and made two half armatures using different methods. The first uses a whole lot of plumber's epoxy and is a little heavy but very sturdy. The biggest downside is that if a wire were to break it would be very difficult to fix. The next one has a head and rib block made from bundles of brass tubing. It's lighter, but I don't think it's as sturdy. After some brainstorming I think I have a pretty good armature design that would have all the qualities I'm looking for, especially the fixable part.


Post a Comment

<< Home